Food & Growing Up


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





I love food. I love everything about food. It's what I do.  It's who I am.

Growing up Mexican in Texas, I developed a passion and appreciation for food, realizing that the kitchen was indeed the center of the house.  It was the center of our house.  To my family food meant love, and sitting down to a meal was a way to share and connect with each other. It's a philosophy and tradition that I still hold dear today.

I owe my palate and passion for culinary adventurousness nature to my mother and father.  Being first generation Americans connected us to old tastes and traditions of Mexico, but it also made for a delicious culture clash of ingredients, methods and stories. It wasn't unheard of to sit down to a dinner of corned beef and cabbage with a side of beans and rice, and I've learned that anything–from a frankfurter to peanut butter and jelly–always tastes better wrapped in a tortilla.

I thank my beautiful mother for teaching me what fresh produce, meat and seafood is all about, and shunning processed canned and overly manipulated foods packed with sugar and salt.  I like to think her culinary artistry has genetically trickled down in some way to me (as the oldest of 13 children she knows her way around the kitchen, and her days in catering and as a chef only prove this).  I thank my wonderful father for his love of cheese, and it's also a reason why at any given moment you'll find no less than six types from all over the world in my fridge.  And while I still can't do it quite like he does, he also taught me how to grill.  I doubt I'll ever reach his level of mastery.

Mom and dad, if you're reading this, thank you for giving me the opportunity to be myself on every level and to gorge myself at every turn...and, for creating a home filled with endless love, sweet music and spicy enchiladas.  I love you both more than words can possibly express.


2 Responses to “Food & Growing Up”

  1. Anonymous Melissa 

    Beautiful letter to your folks, Matt. You're off to a great start with your food blog, and I am so glad I found it & your inspiring photos via Flickr. :-)

  2. Anonymous Melissa 

    Hi Matt, fantastic blog you've started here! This post to your parents is lovely, and I must say I'm envious of your privileged culinary upbringing. My mother could have learned a thing or two from yours! Maybe you can share some of your mother's favorite recipes with us - I get far too little good Mexican food in Scotland. On second thought, make that *no* good Mexican food! :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Matt Armendariz
  • From Los Angeles, California
  • A man with a passion for good food and a wonderful life with a dash of irreverence. Read at your own risk. Advertising director by day, wino by night. All photos on this site by Matt Armendariz.
  • My profile

Previous posts

From The Vaults

Links & Tasty Stuff


ATOM 0.3