Spring Asparagus ... Sorta


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





Because I design and create for the retail environment I find myself working many months in advance. This can be frustrating at times, especially if you're trying to muster excitement about grilling sauces and it's 40 degrees and dark and chilly outside. Maybe this is why I enjoy Australian magazines so much; the inverted seasons seem to reflect the disjointed season that I must transplant myself into.

(But wait - that means their editorial staff works in advance, too, which means they're writing about winter in summer which is my winter which means I'm working on summer..... oh jeez, now I've gone and confused myself.)

My family and friends have grown accustomed to holiday gift baskets and candy canes floating around my house in August, coming over for Thanksgiving treats in July and barbecuing in January just for the sake of a photograph. It's fun and confusing, especially for someone who truly believes in eating seasonally. But hey, it's my job and I love it.

As frustrating as it can be there's no time I enjoy being out of sync more than right now. To me, February means spring is right around the corner, bringing longer days, the promise of tender spring vegetables, a bevy of nice holidays centered around food and an excuse to play croquet on Sunday afternoons (of course, if you're on the East Coast this might be hard to envision considering last weekend's snow storm.)

It seemed fitting that I had to do some asparagus stuff over this past weekend. While I realize it's not quite asparagus season for everyone, I was able to get my hands on some relatively good bunches of delicious asparagus. While they're certainly not Spring's best they still managed to remind me why I love eating this vegetable. While there are so many ways with these slender stalks out there, I tend to appreciate them most when they are prepared very simply. I could eat oven-roasted asparagus drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a quick grate of lemon zest on top every day and never get bored. But perhaps my favorite is when they're grilled or griddled and topped with Gribiche. How I can't wait for Spring!


Asparagus with Gribiche Sauce

Quickly cooking asparagus over high heat gives it a smoky, deep flavor. Top it with Salsa Gribiche, an easy combination of eggs, dijon, herbs, olive oil and capers. Simple and divine.

Ingredients
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 hard boiled egg, finely chopped
1 teaspoon capers
1/2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

For the asparagus:
1 bunch asparagus
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Method
1. Whisk olive oil, vinegar and Dijon mustard together. Once blended, add chopped egg, capers and herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan until very hot, until almost smoking. Place asparagus in hot oil and cook until slightly charred. Top with Gribiche sauce and serve immediately.


4 Responses to “Spring Asparagus ... Sorta”

  1. Anonymous tami 

    beautiful stuff :)

    asparagus are one of my favorites...

  2. Anonymous Liz 

    Ooh, lovely!

    We had asparagus and fresh salmon for dinner the other night and it felt like spring was creeping into the kitchen. It's wonderful how food can do this, especially considering our recent sneau fall.

    Ah croquet, and brunch on the back porch. Not long now.

    The Salsa Gribiche sounds wonderful- the perfect excuse to hit the market again for another bunch of the green stuff. Thanks :D

  3. Anonymous Oliver 

    Hey Matt, Glad I found your blog - great style (both content and design-wise)! Talking about nasty weather, I can fully sympathize with the east coast. Up until yesterday we've had masses of snow in Bavaria, making spring seem so far away. Thanks for sharing the asparagus recipe and helping to bridge the interim period!

  4. Anonymous Andreea 

    Just discovered this blog and I love it, Matt. Great job on it. Will be coming back to read some more.
    Me, not big on asparagus I have to admit :) But can relate to the whole Basque-thing!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Matt Armendariz
  • From Los Angeles, California
  • A man with a passion for good food and a wonderful life with a dash of irreverence. Read at your own risk. Advertising director by day, wino by night. All photos on this site by Matt Armendariz.
  • My profile

Previous posts

From The Vaults

Links & Tasty Stuff


ATOM 0.3