Egg & Potato Chip Tortilla


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





Along with relatively good health and a wonderful loving family, I have been blessed with some of the world's most amazing friends. Not only do they put up with my shenanigans and crazy-loving ways, but they think of me when they travel and bring me fun stuff. Case in point: my friends Paul and Wade.

If I didn't love these guys so much, I'd probably be incredibly bitter and jealous (read: ok, I still am, damnit) that my friend Paul was the only person I know who was able to pick up the phone and easily secure a reservation at El Bulli. Without the wait. Yea yea yea, it's all who you know, I realize, but hey, I'd like to know them too. Is that too much to ask for?

Paul works in the wine business and is my regular wine sage. It's hard to be angry or jealous with someone who gives you hours of advice and lets you raid their wine cellar when you visit. So I'll be nice about this.

Oh, back to the gifts. Sensing my seething envy, these guys were thoughtful enough to schlep back Ferran Adria's El Bulli Cookbook for me along with his book Cocinar En Casa Con Caprabo y Ferran Adria. While apparently nothing can match the experience of dining at El Bulli, just getting these books from them comes pretty damn close, if you ask me. I know I haven't said it enough, but guys, thank you.



Trying to make my way through the cookbook reminds me of my 8th grade science class. Unfortunately I was too busy passing notes to pay much attention. But Adria's book Cocinar En Casa has been such a great read filled with interesting ways of preparing dishes using creativity and everyday grocery store items. (Incidentally, this book was developed in conjuction with the Spanish supermaket chain Caprabo and is available in Spain.) I've discovered a new favorite–his take on the classic Spanish tortilla using potato chips. But I ask: do I really need to find another way to incorporate potato chips into my diet?

Egg & Potato Chip Tortilla
Was I Spanish in a past life? Oh wait, yes. Nevermind. Anyway, the Spanish Tortilla has got to be one of life's most basic pleasures. It's always perfect, any time of day, and always hits the spot. This recipe uses potato chips in place of the regular potatoes and can be prepared in minutes. I must thank Food & Wine magazine for the translation.

Ingredients
4 large eggs
2 cups crushed potato chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped Serrano ham
2 tablespoons finely chopped piquillo peppers
freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Method
1. Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Transfer half of the beaten eggs to another bowl, stir in the crushed potato chips and let stand until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining beaten eggs, Serrano ham and piquillo peppers and season with pepper.

2. In a small nonstick overproof skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the egg mixture and cook over moderately high heat until the bottom is set and golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, or until the top of the tortilla is golden and the center is slightly jiggly. Slide the tortilla onto a place, cut it quarters and serve.

on the web
Paul Marcus Wines
El Bulli


5 Responses to “Egg & Potato Chip Tortilla”

  1. Anonymous MM 

    I really have to stop coming here ... I'm putting weight just looking and thinking of the tortilla!

  2. Anonymous L 

    Yum.

    I had an amazing Spanish Tortilla when I was in Buenos Ares last July. I completely loved it, but I have to sheepishly admit that I was very surprised when it came. I am clearly still a complete novice when it comes to Spanish food, so I was expecting something more like Heuvos Rancheros from the description. Something with eggs and a mexican-style flour tortilla. Suprised I might have been, but definitely not disappointed.

  3. Anonymous melissa 

    oh. my. GOD.

    that looks so good, i think that's what i want for breakfast right now.

    what a wonderful, simple recipe! this has comfort food written all over it...

  4. Anonymous Pille 

    Nice! I've had this recipe bookmarked ever since Chez Pim wrote about it last summer - the idea sounds crazy, but glad to hear that it works!

  5. Anonymous Paul C 

    I made this for a party this weekend. It turned out perfect! I tweaked it a little bit (I believe that real Tortilla shouldn't be super brown) but it worked like a charm.

    I also made a super great Paté, from a recipe taken from A Passion for Piedmont by Matt Kramer.

    Paté de Tonna
    1 6oz can of good quality Tuna (in olive oil) drained
    1/2 stick of butter
    1 whole salted anchovy (rinsed, soaked, and drained)

    Whir the tuna and the anchovy in the food processor until it's uniformly pureed, then add the butter and continue until it's a smooth paste. Stick it in the fridge to firm it up a bit, serve it in a bowl @ room temperature with baguette or toast. Yum!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Matt Armendariz
  • From Los Angeles, California
  • A man with a passion for good food and a wonderful life with a dash of irreverence. Read at your own risk. Advertising director by day, wino by night. All photos on this site by Matt Armendariz.
  • My profile

Previous posts

From The Vaults

Links & Tasty Stuff


ATOM 0.3