A Monday Meme


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





Ok, so a few of you know I'm relatively new to the food blogging world. As I was telling my food blog idol Melissa at Traveler's Lunchbox this morning, it's definitely a labor of love, but being a part of the great online community makes it all worth every single effort. It's incredible.

After I started blogging I wondered when I'd get tagged for a meme. I waited anxiously, quietly, wanting to be part of this invisible baton-passing that is a meme. Self indulgent? Absolutely. But you also find out things about people you'd never find out otherwise. And then to my surprise 4 came in one week. So without further delay, I'm going to attempt to tackle them here, in no particular order, over the next few weeks. I hope you don't get too bored.

The Recipe Collection Meme

Where do you obtain the recipes you prepare?
Because of my work I am incessantly reading, clipping, jotting and hoarding recipes from just about every source I come in contact with. Magazines, cookbooks, friends, authors and contacts keep my brain full of things to try.

How often do you cook a new recipe?
Several times a week. Sometimes they are nothing more than just tasting a simple recipe, other times they can be rather elaborate. Weekends are generally reserved for those kind of recipes; nothing makes me happier than locking myself in the kitchen and experimenting.

Where do you store your favorite recipes?
My favorite recipes are stored in a few places - I'd hate to lose or misplace them. Printed copies go into a binder in my home office as well as a folder in my work office. They're also stored on my computer in a database for quick and easy reference.

How large is your recipe pile?  Is it organized?  How?
At home I tend to keep 10 to 20 of my most current and new cookbooks close by, and when I run out of space they go into "the library". I am blessed with a large production area & library room at my office for 15 years worth of magazines and cookbooks. I couldn't even count them if I tried.

As far as being organized, let's just say mostly :)

What is the oldest recipe in your to try pile?
The oldest recipe would have to be a traditional mole that I have carried with me for at least 12 years. I have a mental block when it comes to preparing food my grandmother made; I know I will never match nor come close to her expertise and it stops me from trying. But one day, one day...

Are you really ever going to make all those recipes in your to try pile?
But of course! I don't know if you know me and my partner, but heck, we're big boys. We can eat!

But seriously, yes. As a marketer it's my job to promote food and come up with ideas; testing recipes is part of the process.

Do you follow a recipe exactly or modify as you go?
It really all depends. If I bake I never veer from the method - it's crucial to be exact. Otherwise, some modifying occurs, especially if I am substituting certain ingredients for work.

What is one new recipe that you're scared to try?
Hands down it would be Barbacoa de Cabeza. Barbacoa, or slow cooked cow's head, is one of the most tender and amazing things I've ever tasted. It's served with onion and cilantro on tender handmade corn tortillas. I'd love to learn how to do it, yet knowing I'd have to personally remove the eyes, ears and tongue? I'm simply not that brave.

And to those friends I tagged, I apologize. Or say "you're welcome". Depending on your personal views :)


3 Responses to “A Monday Meme”

  1. Anonymous melissa 

    if you wouldn't mind terribly, i'd like to spend my vacation in your kitchen.

    consider this my reservation.

  2. Anonymous Jeni 

    Slow cooked cow's head??? That sounds amazingly yummy Matt! Removing the eyes and ears doesn't!

  3. Anonymous bea at La Tartine Gourmande 

    Hi Matt,

    Lucky boy that you are! a work library of cookbooks and magazines. I currently have 7 magazine subsscriptions to food magazines, all from Aussie and France ;-)
    I agree with you, I also repeat a recipe a few times in a row, very close, to be able to understand and master it better! I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see your work library! ;-)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Matt Armendariz
  • From Los Angeles, California
  • A man with a passion for good food and a wonderful life with a dash of irreverence. Read at your own risk. Advertising director by day, wino by night. All photos on this site by Matt Armendariz.
  • My profile

Previous posts

From The Vaults

Links & Tasty Stuff


ATOM 0.3