Review: Seasoned Skewers


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





I just read a pretty fascinating article on Homaro Cantu of Moto in Chicago. Cantu is one of the gastronomical scientific renegades who is attempting to change the way we eat and think about food by fusing the science lab with the kitchen. You know what I'm talking about: menus on edible paper, synthetic champagne, food disguised as shapes that reveal their true identities once bitten, lasers, nitrogen, helium, class IV lasers, I could go on. I can't knock it because I've never tried his cuisine, but something tells me that I'm content with my kitchen and just a few pots and pans. I'm a simple guy.

Maybe it's timing or irony, but the second I finished the article a package arrived on my desk. I opened it to find an assortment of skewers that promise "15-minute flavor". Seasoned Skewers are flavored skewers that are infused with essential oils and herbal extracts in a variety of combinations. You put your unseasoned food on the skewer, wait 15 minutes, and cook.

Oh no, more food magic! I just don't know if I can take it. I mean, what's wrong with marinating the old fashioned way?

Reluctantly I gave the skewers a try. I skewered shrimp, scallops and vegetables on the sticks, waited a bit and grilled.

Can you say amazed?

Can you say ingenious?



I really had one of those "why didn't someone think of this sooner?" kind of moments. It's clever, tasty, all natural, and fat and sodium free, too. The skewers come in Honey Bourbon, Citrus Rosemary, Thai Coconut Lime, Mexican Fiesta, Garlic Herb and Indian Mango Curry. I tried the Thai Coconut Lime and sure enough my food was flavored perfectly. Pretty aromatic, I'd say.

Ok, so it might not be polymer box filled with foam, but Seasoned Skewers sure do the trick when you don't want to do it yourself.


9 Responses to “Review: Seasoned Skewers”

  1. Anonymous Dianka3103 

    Ok, where can you get these, Matt? I've never seen or heard of them but I take your word for it! What a great idea, I would love to try this.

  2. Anonymous tian 

    ingenious! .. love "light bulb moment" ideas

    that will probably take ages to reach Aus /-:

  3. Anonymous L 

    Thai Coconut Lime sounds great... and although I tend to be on the low-tech food side, I think I might just have to give them a try this grilling season! Thanks for sharing...

  4. Anonymous melissa mcgee 

    that is awesome.

    that is the sort of thing that makes me beat myself in the head wondering why i didn't think of it...

  5. Anonymous Professor Salt 

    I saw these at the SF Fancy Food show. Tried the shrimp they were cooking at the convention center on a George Foreman grill.

    Meh. It's not going to replace real seasonings in my kitchen.

  6. Anonymous Kalyn 

    Very interesting idea. I haven't seen the skewers here, but I'll keep my eyes open for them.

  7. Anonymous Darrell 

    What a great idea! Here's a link to their website, where you can find out if they are available in your area by clicking on PICK STICKS.

  8. Anonymous The General 

    What a great idea...just in time for National BBQ Month! The General will certainly give these a try.

    A big salute to Matt!

  9. Anonymous Ron 

    Hi Matt:

    We are as excited about these skewers as you are. I have had shrimp made with the Thai Coconut Lime Seasoned Skewers (at the Las Vegas Gourmet Products Show in May) and they were really tasty. We do sell Seasoned Skewers on our website and in our stores at http://www.kitchenkapers.com/seasoned-skewers.html if anyone wants to check them out there.

    Best,

    Ron

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Matt Armendariz
  • From Los Angeles, California
  • A man with a passion for good food and a wonderful life with a dash of irreverence. Read at your own risk. Advertising director by day, wino by night. All photos on this site by Matt Armendariz.
  • My profile

Previous posts

From The Vaults

Links & Tasty Stuff


ATOM 0.3